Saratoga in 1865
- Saratoga Race Track Opens
Saratoga Association for the Improvement of the Breed of Horses was
incorporated in 1865 by a group of sportsmen that included William R.
Travers, Leonard W. Jerome, and Cornelius Vanderbilt.
- The present
track was built in 1865.
On the older Horse Haven track,
harness races had been held in the 1850's.
- The Association was
subsequently taken over by John Morrissey, heavyweight bare-knuckle
boxing champion of the United States, member of Congress, and State
senator, who also erected in 1870 the first section of the present
Casino, later made famous by the debonair patron of art, Richard
- The Saratoga Association was the
predecessor to what is now known as the NYRA.
Married this Year...
The World in 1865...
1865 Photo Gallery...
1865 at the track...